Sunday, July 20, 2008

The birthday party

Friday we had a birthday party for Niah. We've never thrown a party for a four year old before. Niah was so excited about her birthday. She, like normal almost- four- year- olds, has been talking about, and asking about turning four all year long....
"Mom, when I'm four, will I be old enough to wear makeup?"
"Mom, when I'm four, will I be too big for this shirt?
"Mom, when will I be old enough to walk on the black street? When I'm four?"

I was starting to panic... She was making it sound like she thought she was going to wake up on her birthday and be a totally different person or something. So, I was able to use some archived wisdom that I heard from my mommy years ago (I love doing that). Something about not getting her hopes up and that her birthday is just a special day, but will not magically change her.

So the day came. We had the normal issues come up when trying to prepare for company...
(Here are some examples. Forgive me if they aren't the normal issues you were thinking of)
"Kids, Mommy is trying so hard to clean up the house. Could you please not leave everything laying around everywhere???"
"Ok, I just vacuumed, so why is there an earwig on the floor?"
"Whose shoes are these?"
"Dog, get off the table!"
And all the while, answering the same question 110 times... "yes, this is for the party, honey"

Niah couldn't sleep. She played during her quiet time. She was so excited for her friends to come over. I ran around trying to finish last minute details (like buying her a present) ...oops
Graciously, Brad had the day off on Friday. Whew! Dragging 3 kids around town is so
exhausting.

So the party came and before I knew it, I was looking at about 15 kids running around my backyard playing in the kiddie pool and the slip 'n slide. Everyone was seeming to have a good time. We had tears... yes, what little-kid party doesn't have tears? Someone broke Niah's new toy, Niah thinks is someone in particular and won't talk to him, and we have a lesson in forgiveness. Yep, the normal stuff. I think it went well, actually. Life is precious and my baby girl is 4. Thank you Jesus for the blessings of parenting.
Oh, and thanks to those who came. For those who weren't invited.... well, we had to curb the truckload of gifts somehow. I hope you understand :)