Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Temporary pleasures or lifelong treasures?

This morning I was greeted by two sweet-smiling faced girls. It was 7:15, and I was doing my hair (the only day of the week I actually try to put on makeup and look "put together".
"Hi Mommy! We get to play at Nee-nee's today!"
Yep. That was the plan, and they were mighty excited.
We got ready and piled in the car. Colton didn't purposely drip milk onto himself, and I didn't hear one "are we there yets".
We got to grandma's house, and I had to beg for kisses.

I went to the last day of my weekly bible study and had lunch with the ladies in my small group. It's nice sometimes to pretend I'm fun and fancy free. Laughing until my face hurts and my head comtemplates a headache is medicine for the soul.
Going to pick the kids up, they were in a tent in the living room pretending to be asleep. The pressure of being quiet proved too much and they burst into a giggling fit. They emerged from their domain, dressed in oversized socks and my sister's old shirts while their muddy tennis shoes and handprints on the porch revealed yet another reason why grandma's house is so much fun. Even Colton was enjoying the fun. I had to practically drag them into the car.
Later this evening I arrived home from my piano lessons greeted by a crying Niah tormented by the disgusting thought of not being able to wash her hands after going to the bathroom (sometimes there is more drama here than in a high school theater). Apparently Brad broke off something about the water outside and water was spraying everywhere. Our friend came over to help with a plumbing problem, and like most fix-it jobs, it got a little out of hand for a while. I just happened to walk right in the middle of it.
With dinner on the stove, babies crying, toddlers in time out and preschoolers banned from the kitchen for asking for another cracker, I wondered how I ever got here. Where did my pre-kid life go? Did I ever have a life before kids?
Motherhood is a sancifying process. A refining fire. As much as I sometimes want to be "that" girl, the one I once was, I know if I was ever given the choice, I would never go back. I am so honored that God is using me to raise these children for his glory. By God's grace, I am redeemed, forgiven and enabled to show them Christ's love. We as mothers have the biggest impact on our children's lives, either for good or not so good. Our chioces not only affect our children, but it also impacts the way they raise their own children! Generations after we are dead and gone will be reaping the benefits (or consequences) of our actions.
Although I know this in my heart, sometimes I need a reminder. So in case any of my fellow mothers who are are elbow deep in naps, runny noses, and discipline are anything like me, just remember that the honor of shaping the next generation far outweighs the temporary joy of perfectly applied makeup and cars without milk stains on the inside of the door.

"For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever, Amen"
Romans 11:36