Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mountains or molehills?

I called the after hours doctor today because of Olivia's fever. Her temp was 103.6 in her armpit and I almost freaked. Don't you have to add a degree or two if you did the armpit check? I always get confused. So, I had to bust out the REAL thermometer..... yes, the pooper thermometer-checker. I know, it's weird, and sorta gross, but at that point I wanted to know her TRUE core body temp. What if it was like 105 or something? My child could be dying right in front of my eyes, and I was too wussy to use the rectal thermometer? No way.
Well, apparently her pits happened to be hot or something, because her true body temp was only .1 degree higher. Whew.
Now what? What do you do when your kid's temp is screaming hot like that? Run a bath? Give cold compresses? At what point do you take them to the hospital?
Thank goodness the nurse on the other line was able to answer all these questions. I only have to take her in if she is unconcious from the fever.
Then that flashed in my mind.
I pictured carrying my blond baby through the doors of the hospital, and showing her to the nurse, only to be quesioned about her black eye (from the dive off Mimi and Bapa's couch on Tuesday) and the swollen knot on her right shin (from falling outside today). And then being hauled off to the slammer, while all my friends gather around to clear my name.

And I scold my kids for making mountains out of molehills.