So, last week the girls decided they wanted to get their ears pierced. I was honest with them. It's going to hurt, it's a little like a shot, anything to sort of talk them out of it. I really didn't think they'd keep bugging me about it. Besides, isn't getting your ears pierced like a girlhood rite of passage or something? Shouldn't it happen like on a birthday or during something important? Well, I made the promise that Niah could get them done whenever she decided she was brave enough (which apparently was after she was 4, but not for her 4th birthday) so I had to brush aside my "my babies are getting so big, are they big enough for this" doubts and follow through with my promise. Dang, I hate it when my kids take me up on stuff that I thought they'd forget about!
So on Monday, they bugged me during breakfast. On Tuesday they pestered me while eating lunch, and on Wednesday I heard about it again. OKAY! We can get your ears pierced!
"So, Olivia, do you want your ears pierced too?"
"Yes, Mommy. And I'm not gonna cly, I'm gonna be blave"
(side note... those aren't typos, Olivia speaks with her r's as l's and her l's as r's. The whole "flied lice" thing)
So I gave in, and we went to the mall. Did you know that the only place you can get a kid's ears pierced is inthe mall or at a doctor's office? Crazy, and no one does both ears at the same time. Niah was first and picked sparkly white earrings. She cried a little, and I was sure Olivia was going to chicken out, but nope, she hopped right up into the chair even while Niah was still crying. She was NOT going to cry. Oh, and did I mention that there was one person working the store, and it happened to be packed that morning, and so everyone was watching me, this nutty mommy with 3 kids, forcing 2 of them to go under the ear peircing gun. I wanted to announce to everyone in the store that THIS WAS NOT MY IDEA! I just wanted everyone to know that I tried talking them OUT of gettting beautiful sparkling gems in their ears so they can be like mommy. Ok, so maybe I understand why they wanted earrings. Oh well, the lollipops were sufficient tear stoppers, and looking at thier new "pretties" in the mirror was awfully exciting.
Life from the perspective of a child is fun to re-live. How do we forget so quickly how a band-aid makes a boo-boo better, what "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" ate on Thursday, how to wear shoes on the wrong feet, or that the song "The farmer in the Dell" doesn't make much sense.
Olivia: Why does the cheese stand alone?
Niah: Because it doesn't have any legs.
新たな「人間主義」へ―池田大作SGI会長の平和思想と行動
8 years ago
