Sunday, September 6, 2009

The first week of school

Homeschool. What a concept. While all my mommy friends send their kids to school and get to experience a little taste of freedom, I keep mine and face the same daily struggle. Am I crazy?

Well, the first week went ok. I've really been up to this "let's do some school" mode for a few weeks now because I was excited to get started. What's funny about it is that I really thought Niah was a pretty compliant child until now. Maybe it's a new stage, but she is sure argumentative about EVERYTHING lately. So now when we have faced maybe 10-20 confrontations a day before we introduced this school thing, now the number is closer to 100. From how she holds her pencil to what shoes to wear to the park, it's constant... and exhausting.

So now I am faced with the new challenges of keeping the floor vaccumed, food in the fridge, beds made, toilets clean, bums wiped, and now lesson plans.

It's terrifying.

So that's when I open my bible, and read. It calms my heart to see again and again the way we are to raise our children plainly written out for us to know and follow. Praise Him for his wonderous grace in revealing to us His character and love. As I am more and more convinced that homeschooling is the best way for me to teach our children the love of our heavenly father, I am still at a loss for words when asked why we do it. I think I'm brave and secure in my faith until I'm questioned. I hate that! I always have that stupid voice whispering in my ear. "Don't say it! They'll think your crazy! You are one of those people. Are you sure you want them to know that?"

"The cross of Christ is foolishness to those who are perishing" is always the verse that enters my mind. I know it, but it doesn't make it any easier.

I've been encouraged by Olivia picking up almost everything we are doing. I thought she wouldn't be interested, but it turns out that I have 2 kindergarteners! Exctiting. She loves to participate in everything, except for the cleaning up part! Colton, however is quite a pain. He wants to write on the white board. He wants to play cards. He wants to be in the middle of everything! Oh, Lord help me!

Amidst the frustrations, the dirty floor and the unfolded laundry, there is a silver lining. I am so blessed!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"
~ Jim Elliot