Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dear Soli Deo

So the other day I received one of those really annoying envelopes in the mail. I know, I need to be more specific than that, what kind of junk mail? Well, it was one of those letters from St. Matthew's (that may not be right... it was St. something anyway) that had writing on the outside:

"After getting your golden cross and praying with it I received 12,005 dollars"
"I have been so blessed after praying with the cross I got a check in the mail for 500 dollars. Just what I needed to get my truck fixed"
etc. etc. etc.

There were even scripture verses to "back up" what these people were trying to "sell". I think you probably know what I'm talking about. Maybe you have received those types of flyer's in the mail as well. Some have the "prayer rugs" with a picture of what they think Jesus looks like, and various nonsense to try to sell someone on... well, I'm not really sure what they are trying to do exactly.
Anyway, I was very annoyed so I took the postcard that you are supposed to send back to them to request your "special golden cross anointed by a bishop" and taped a piece of paper over the words written to write my own note on it. It went something like this:

"Dear St. Matthew Church,
Please stop sending me your flyer's. It is disgusting that you are trying to use the power of the one and only Holy God to exploit the wants and desires of man.
(I didn't have much space, and I can't totally remember exactly what I wrote, but that is pretty close)
In the space where my name was supposed to be I wrote: Soli Deo Gloria

Two weeks later I received a "blessed golden cross" with a letter titled "Dear Soli Deo, thank you for your request for your blessed golden cross..... (I stopped reading there)
Attached was an envelope to show your appreciation with a convenient place to write your credit card number.

It's good to know they even care about what I wrote or what scripture truly has so say about our creator.

At least Niah was excited about a pretty little cross coming in the mail.

Childhood innocence is bliss.