Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chewing gum obession



Two weeks ago in Bible study, a friend of mine handed me a piece of gum. I almost declined because I could hear the echo in my head of that oh so familiar conversation....


"Mommy, whatcha got in yo mouth?"

"Gum"

"OHHHH, can I have some?"


I rationalized that I'd just hide it when I saw the girls, and popped a piece in my mouth.


It only took about 2 minutes before I was discovered ( I think that's a record, actually)

Since I had no other gum, I decided to split the piece I'd been chewing between the girls while secretly hoping I had no cavities or other sickness I could be poisioning them with.


Then, my mind flashed back in time.....


We were in Disneyworld. The happiest, and germie-est place on earth. The place where more feet have trod, and hands have touched than even the grossest of grocery carts. The place where Olivia was denied a piece of gum.... oh yes, but she found a way around that.


Shortly after asking for gum, Olivia sat down next to me to begin working on a coloring project in EPCOT. I noticed that she was eating something, so I asked her what it was. When her reply was gum, I looked over at her aunite Em and smiled. What a nice auntie. I mentioned something to Em about being such a sweet auntie to give Olivia some gum to which she curiously replied, "what?"

"Didn't you give Olivia some gum?"

"No"

"Then where'd she get it?"

"I don't know, maybe Bapa..."

As everyone in our party gave me the same perplexed look, my stomach all of a sudden felt like it was going to give a sympathetic barf.

"Olivia, where did you find that gum?"

Ummmm..."

"Did you find it on the ground?"

"Yeah."

(I shudder, but try not freak her out)


Dear Lord, please protect my precious baby from any sort of disease she could get from that disgusting piece of gum!