Saturday, January 31, 2009

Missed blessings

Last night we went to bed at 9:15. Brad and I were beat. Lately I have had a hard time sleeping. How a mommy of 3 under 5 can have a hard time sleeping is a total frustrating mystery to me. So at about 1:15 I hear screaming from Niah. She sounds like she is scared.
"Mommy, my tummy really hurts."
"Are you going to throw up?"
"I dunno"
"Ok, let's try to go potty"

I turn on the hall light, and the bathroom light. The stray light shines onto Brad's face. He is on his back, with his arms above his head, mouth open. The sleeping angel is undisturbed.

"Mommy! My tummy hurts!.... whimper, whimper"

The commotion is elevating to a louder and louder level. I go get some tylenol. I turn on the hall light in our room, and the bathroom light in our room. Now more light is shed onto my sleeping husband. Should I make a bigger ruckus to see exactly how much noise wakes him?

Then a thought comes to me.
I am transformed in my mind to a burgler rummaging around in our house. He easily carries out our stuff downstairs and makes his way upstairs to see us sleeping. Then I stop my wandering mind before it runs loose thinking the worst about what a bad guy could do.
Creepy.

I carry my whimpering 4 1/2 year old into our room. I really don't want barf all over my bed. I imagine washing my duvet, comforter, sheets, pillows, and pjs. Maybe not. So we go into the guest room. I am so blessed to have another option.

We cuddle up together, and she smiles as she takes her medicine.

I laid there for about 1 hour.... I COULD NOT get back to sleep. Now I have 4 sleeping angels in he house. Too bad I'm not one of them.
Finally I got up, looked at photo albums and piddled around downstairs.

Back to bed.

After a scary nightmare about ghostly little boy haunting our house, and getting up a measly 2 hours after finally getting to sleep to feed Colton, I am in the last stretch of sleep before morning breaks. All I can think after rethinking my night, I am so thankful that no one told me that being a mommy could be so hard.

I would have chickened out, and missed out on so many blessings. Including getting to sleep in this morning while Brad fixed breakfast for the kids, and hot eggs and sauage when I finally mosied down to greet them.




As I get increasingly more eeping husband, I realize that although he is the protector of our home in a sense, thankfully when he is sound asleep, our heavenly father is not. Praise God!