Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Missed luxury

So yesterday I was busy. Yes, busy with the kids of course, but also busy blowing my nose, and throwing myself a pity party. I didn't feel well, and all I longed for of was sitting down on the couch with a cup of tea in a bathrobe and getting lost in a good book. Instead, I found myself sitting on the couch in my PJ's holding a cup of tea and listening to my kids argue about who's hand was touching who's chair while Colton was fussing in his overused exersaucer. I could only sit for a minute or so before I had to get up just to sit back down just to get up again, just to sit back down. Yes, it was a real party. I thought of those I know without kids, or with grown kids that had the luxury of resting while they weren't feeling well, and the pangs of jealousy started to rise up into my head. Life is not easy. I saw a bumper sticker today in the parking lot of the mall that said "You haven't worked full time until you are a Mom." Yes, I can relate to that. And don't ask why I took my 3 kids to the mall by myself. It wasn't my idea, I had to return a sweater I bought online at The Children's Place because it unraveled in the wash. That's the point of buying it online! I don't have to go there.... but such is life. I hate the mall. I get lost. I know, embarassing, but it's true. I parked by the food court ( I always park there so I remember where my car is) and walked through the crowds of teenagers saying all their bleepity bleeps and hoping my sweet kids weren't listening. I didn't even know it was Veterans day and kids were out of school until we were out of the house and on the way. I just live at home in my Mommy bubble, oblivious to the world where I can focus on disciplining and pity parties.
Anyway, I walked by Starbucks (looked to see if Steve was working, fogetting that he doesn't work there anymore) and walked all the way to Cinnabon looking for Children's place. Crappy, I'm lost again. Yes, I had to resort to looking at the directory. The "you are here" dot was annoyingly far from the "c" wing that held the store of choice. I wanted to curse at myself for being such a nit wit, but I try to restrain myself for the children's sake.
So, we turn around and march back the other way. All the while, Niah is trying desperately to keep up with Mommy mach 1 and practically running. I should have invested in a triple stroller. We stop in The Body Shop and get some cool lotion. The 50 to 60 year old man with the very strong San Francisco accent makes me wonder if he spoke like that back in the 60's.
After leaving there, I half expected Niah to ask why the man in the store talked so funny, but instead she was whining about how tired she was from walking. Ok, Olivia, your turn. Olivia gets out to walk, but the crowd is too much and we have to slow down to a snail's pace. This type A momma gets frustrated and puts Olivia on the handlebars. Her feet were dangling onto Colton and Niah's heads, but we were almost there!
After a few puzzling looks from other shoppers, and a few "I've been there" smirks, we are finally entering the store we've been searching for! Horray!
I immediately begin scanning for any sweaters that are about 10 ish dollars... what we paid for the one we are returning....but no luck. After mistakenly telling Niah to choose a shirt, I change my mind and get Olivia shoes instead to match her Christmas dress. I expected meltdown from Niah, but she was ok (reminder to take my successes one at a time!).
Now that Olivia is in undies, we had to stop at the bathroom. Manuevering that stroller into the bathroom was a nightmare and I'm sure I ran over a few toes, but we got through with only Olivia touching the grossest part of the toilet seat, and the automatic toilet actually waiting to flush until after Niah was off of it (successes #2 and 3).
The best part of the trip (other than finally getting home and getting kids to bed for a nap) was seeing another mom with the same stroller as me, holding a toddler, pushing 2 kids in the stroller and trying not to clothesline TWO other young kids holding onto the stroller... yes, that was 5 kids in tow. I smiled and sorta chuckled.
Goodbye, pity party, things could definately be tougher!